Lewis Carnegie Dowdy was inaugurated on April 10, 1964 as the College’s sixth president and reappointed chancellor in July 1972, thus making him the first Chancellor of the University. A native of Eastover, South Carolina, Dr. Dowdy graduated cum laude from Allen University in Columbia, South Carolina, earned the master’s degree from Indiana State College and the doctorate of education degree from Indiana University. In 1951, he joined the A&T faculty as an instructor of education and director of student teaching. Before he became president, Dr. Dowdy served as an assistant professor of education, dean of the School of Education and General Studies, dean of Instruction and acting president in the absence of President Proctor.
Under Dowdy’s leadership, the university experienced its greatest period of growth with many of its schools achieving national recognition and accreditation. He reorganized instruction, creating the Schools of Education, Business and Economics and the College of Arts and Sciences. An expansion of four academic buildings, a new gymnasium, new football stadium and other service buildings were realized under him. Dr. Dowdy led the university through the tumultuous 1960s and 1970s. After serving the university for over twenty-one years, Dr. Dowdy resigned his position as chancellor on October 31, 1980. The new administration building was named for him on May 1, 1981. Dr. Dowdy died on Sunday,