Skip to Main Content

Archives and Special Collections

This LibGuide is published to promote access to the F. D. Bluford Library and Special Collections at North Carolina A&T State University, and research of A&T history remotely.

1920 - 1929

1925 Aeroplane View

"Aeroplane View of Campus" from 1925-1926 Bulletin of the A&T College. The building is the very center is "Old Dudley Hall", A&T's very first building. It was destroyed in a fire in 1930, and replaced with the modern Dudley Memorial Hall.

Tips for Researching This Time Period

North Carolina A&T State University is an 1890 Second Morrill Land-Grant Act public university located in Greensboro, North Carolina.

NAME CHANGES TO REMEMBER: In our earliest years, sometimes press articles would alter or incorrectly state the names of the college. The correct name is in bold, and alternative phrasings are listed to help with research. The ampersand "&" was used just as much as "and" for A&T.

1915  - 1957 - Negro Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina - [A. and T. College, A & T. College, A&T College of North Carolina]

FOUNDING DATE: March 9, 1891


Dr. James Benson Dudley (1896 - 1925)

Dr. Ferdinard Douglas Bluford (1925 - 1955)

Timeline, 1891 - 1925



The first Aggie Eagle football game (NCA&T vs. NC Central University) is played at Dudley Field (now the Holland Bowl, a.k.a "The Yard", the grounds in front of Williams Cafeteria) on November 23, 1922.


Actor and speaker Richard B. Harrison begins teaching drama and elocution during the A&T Summer School sessions. In September, Harrison starred in an all Black comedy film called "How High Is Up"?. He is earliest known Aggie to star in a motion picture.

Noble Hall, the oldest standing building on campus is completed. It's foundation was laid in December of 1921. It was originally called the Agricultural Building and housed modern laboratories, and the Graduate College beginning in 1939.


Morrison Hall (now Speight Hall) and Murphy Hall are erected on the A&T Campus. The oldest dormitory on campus was named for Gov. Cameron Morrison was renamed for Dr. Velma Speight '53 in 2020. Murphy Hall served as a campus dining hall for decades.

In December, A&T officially becomes a member of the Colored Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) later renamed the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association..


President Dudley dies on April 5 following a brief illness. 

Dr. Ferdinand D. Bluford was selected as the third President and served until 1955.


The A&T Athletics Teams are referred to as the "Bulldogs". This came about in October 1926. It is debatable if the name came about from an incident from a football game against Virginia Union University.

An exact date is unknown, but between 1926 and 1929, students gain editorial control of the A&T Register newspaper. H. B. Chandler (c. 1926) is the earliest known student editor. He was succeeded by Ellis F. Corbett around 1929.


September 30 - A&T's football team plays in the War Memorial Stadium for very first time in a Homecoming game against Lincoln University. Beating the Lincoln Lions 20-0, it was also the first time "colored" teams were allowed to play at the site.

November 2 - The first "Dudley Day" is celebrated. Created by President F. D. Bluford, it was a day to honor the legacy of Dr. James B. Dudley A&T's second president. It would later become "Founder's Day".


Women are officially readmitted for enrollment as bachelor's degree seeking students. 


The Beta Epsilon Chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity was established on March 28th.