"Nursing Students in a Pediatrics Class - From the Ayantee 1961.
North Carolina A&T State University is an 1890 Second Morrill Land-Grant Act public university located in Greensboro, North Carolina.
NAME CHANGES TO REMEMBER:
1891 - 1915 - Agricultural and Mechanical College for the Colored Race
1915 - 1957 - Negro Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina
1957 - 1967 - Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina
1967 - present - North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University.
Dr. Warmoth T. Gibbs Sr. is inaugurated as A&T's 4th president on November 9.
The first class in the School of Nursing graduated.
The North Carolina General Assembly redefined the purpose of A&T College as follows:
"The primary purpose of the College shall be to teach the Agricultural and Technical Arts and Sciences and such branches of learning as related thereto; the training of teachers, supervisors, and administrators for the public schools of the State, including the preparation of such teachers, supervisors, and administrators for the Master's Degree. Such other programs of a professional or occupational nature may be offered as shall be approved by the North Carolina Board of Higher Education, consistent with the appropriations made therefore."
The name of the College was changed to "Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina".
Rodney Jaye Miller of Greensboro becomes one of the first whites student admitted to A&T.
A&T was fully-accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
Ezell Blair, Jr. (Jibreel Khazan), Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil and David Richmond, four freshman students at A&T College initiated the Lunch Counter Sit-In demonstrations in Greensboro on February 1st.
Dr. Samuel D. Proctor was selected as the fifth President of the College and served until 1964.
Dr. Lewis C. Dowdy was selected as the sixth President of the College and served until 1980.
John A. Steinhauer, a science teacher, was the first white student to earn a degree from A&T, earning the Master of Science in Education with a concentration in Chemistry.
The College acquired the East Campus, formerly the Immanuel Lutheran College.
The Board of Directors for the A&T College Foundation was appointed. Membership of the Board grew from five to twenty-four.
The Board of Trustees, in its annual meeting on Thursday, October 20, approved a resolution changing the titles of Dean of Instruction to Dean of Academic Affairs and Dean of Students to Dean of Student Affairs, both effective December 1.
Radio station WANT was established on February 9th.
Four new buildings were named: B.W. Barnes Biology Building, Edward Richard Merrick Building, C.M. Vanstory Hall, Memorial Union of A&T College.
The Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina, by an Act of the North Carolina General Assembly, was designated a Regional University as the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. Two academic divisions were established: the Division of Industrial Education and Technology and the Division of Business and Economics.
The name of the College was changed to "North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University".
Effective September 1st, the University was reorganized into the following academic areas:
School of Agriculture
School of Arts and Sciences containing the Division of Humanities
Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Division of Social Sciences
School of Education
School of Engineering
School of Nursing
School of Graduate Studies
Division of Business Administration
The School of Engineering was accredited by the Engineers' Council for Professional Development.
The Department of Speech and Drama was created as a part of the School of Arts and Sciences.
The History and Political Science Departments were created after formerly being one department.
The School of Business and Economics was created by an Action of the Board of Trustees.
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) reaffirmed A&T's full membership.
The Paul Robeson Little Theatre was opened.
The Register acquired IBM equipment enabling its staff to perform functions of newspaper production excepting printing.
A&T left the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association and helped form the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC).
The School of Engineering attained membership in the Association of Schools of Engineering.
The School of Nursing was accredited by the National League for Nursing.
A&T became a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina, which is comprised of 16 senior public institutions.
The University's Social Science Program received approval from the Council on Social Work Education.
The Men's Basketball Team wins the MEAC Championship.
The Teacher Education Programs were approved by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
The Graduate School was approved as a member of the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States.
The Industrial Technology program was accredited by the National Association of Industrial Technology.
The University's undergraduate business program was accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business.
Dr. Ronald E. McNair, a 1971 A&T graduate, was selected for the U.S. astronaut program.
Dr. Cleon F. Thompson became the seventh Chancellor, serving one year as Interim Chancellor.
The University became an affiliate member of the Microelectronics Center of North Carolina.