"ROTC on Parade" from A&T Register, March 1943.
North Carolina A&T State University is an 1890 Second Morrill Land-Grant Act public university located in Greensboro, North Carolina.
NAME CHANGES TO REMEMBER:
1891 - 1915 - Agricultural and Mechanical College for the Colored Race
1915 - 1957 - Negro Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina
1957 - 1967 - Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina
1967 - present - North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University.
Dr. Ferdinand D. Bluford was selected as the third President following the death of Pres. James B. Dudley. Dr. Bluford served until 1955.
A&T became a member of the Colored Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA), later renamed the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association.
The National Alumni Association was organized.
A&T College Football team wins its first CIAA championship.
The College was granted co-educational status.
A&T was granted an "A" rating by the North Carolina Department of Education.
The A&T High School graduates its last class.
A&T was granted an "A" rating by the New York Department of Education and the American Medical Association.
The original Dudley Building is destroyed in a fire. The current Dudley Memorial Building is constructed the same year in its place.
On December 16, female students are allowed for the first time to participate in the student government as members of the Student Council.
First sororities are established on campus: Alpha Kappa Alpha followed by Delta Sigma Theta.
Preston Haygood is the first graduate with a degree in visual arts.
Honorary Doctorate is presented to Richard B. Harrison at Spring Commmencement.
A&T attained an "A" rating on the approved list of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
The Graduate School is founded and A&T was authorized to grant the Master of Science degree in education and certain other fields.
The Senior Class publishes the first "Ayantee" yearbook. The next volume would not be published until 1946.
Woodland Elroy Hall was the first graduate to receive the Master of Science degree.
A&T conferred its first bachelors degree in instrumental music.
Senior Army R.O.T.C. Program was begun.
Barbara Canada becomes first female elected Student Council (Student Government Association) president.
First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt toured the campus with A&T President F. D. Bluford in March.
The A&T Foundation was established on March 4th by the Board of Trustees.
A&T acquired the 96-acre land tract known as North Campus.
The Senior Air Force R.O.T.C. Program was instituted.
Austin W. Curtis Hall Dormitory and W. Kerr Scott Hall Dormitory is constructed.
The School of Nursing was established. The first seven graduates walked in 1957.
Dr. Bluford dies December 21 at the age of 73.