From Contemporary Authors Online
- Born: 1946 in Fontana, California, United States
- Nationality: American
- Occupation: History teacher
- Prisoners of the American Dream: Politics and Economy in the History of the U.S. Working Class, Verso (London, England), 1986.
- (Editor, with Manning Marable, Fred Pfeil, and Michael Sprinker) The Year Left 2: Toward a Rainbow Socialism, Verso (London, England), 1987.
- (Editor, with Michael Sprinker) Reshaping the U.S. Left: Popular Struggles in the 1980s, Verso (New York, NY), 1988.
- City of Quartz: Excavating the Future in Los Angeles, photographs by Robert Morrow, Verso (New York, NY), 1990, revised edition, 2006.
- (Editor, with others) Fire in the Hearth: The Radical Politics of Place in America, Verso (New York, NY), 1990.
- Ecology of Fear: Los Angeles and the Imagination of Disaster, Metropolitan Books (New York, NY), 1998.
- Magical Urbanism: Latinos Reinvent the U.S. City, Verso (New York, NY), 2000.
- (Editor, with Hal K. Rothman) The Grit beneath the Glitter: Tales from the Real Las Vegas, University of California (Berkeley, CA), 2001.
- Late Victorian Holocausts: El Nino Famines and the Making of the Third World, Verso (New York, NY), 2001.
- Dead Cities: And Other Tales, New Press (New York, NY), 2002.
- (With Kelly Mayhew and Jim Miller) Under the Perfect Sun: The San Diego Tourists Will Never See, New Press (New York, NY), 2003.
- Cronache Dall's Impero (essays), introduction by Benedetto Vecchi, Manifestolibri (Rome, Italy), 2004.
- The Monster at Our Door: The Global Threat of Avian Flu, New Press (New York, NY), 2005.
- (With Justin Akers Chacon) No One Is Illegal: Fighting Violence and State Repression on the U.S.-Mexico Border, photographs by Julian Cardona, Haymarket Books (Chicago, IL), 2006.
- Planet of Slums: Urban Involution and the Informal Working Class, Verso (London, England), 2006, Verso (New York, NY), 2007.
- In Praise of Barbarians: Essays against Empire, Haymarket Books (Chicago, IL), 2007.
- Buda's Wagon: A Brief History of the Car Bomb, Verso (London, England), 2007.
- (Editor, with Daniel Bertrand Monk) Evil Paradises: Dreamworlds of Neoliberalism, New Press (New York, NY), 2007.
- (With Forrest Hylton) Governments of the Poor: Politics and Survival in the Global Slum, Verso (London, England), 2007.
"ISLANDS MYSTERIOUS: WHERE SCIENCE REDISCOVERS WONDER" SERIES
- Land of the Lost Mammoths, Perceval Press (Los Angeles, CA), 2003.
- Pirates, Bats, and Dragons, Perceval Press (Los Angeles, CA), 2004.
Writer. Taught urban theory at the Southern California Institute of Architecture and the Getty Institute; Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY, instructor; University of California, Irvine, professor of history.
Havens Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1997; MacArthur grant, 1998, for Ecology of Fear; Getty fellowship; Isaac Deutscher Award, London School of Economics, and Best Book in Urban Politics, American Political Science Association, both for City of Quartz: Excavating the Future in Los Angeles; Carey McWilliams Award, for Magical Urbanism: Latinos Reinvent the U.S. City; Erich Shelling award, 2004; Esther McCoy Award, University of South Carolina Architectural Guild.
Born 1946, in Fontana, CA; married fifth wife, Alessandra Moctezuma (a painter); children: four. Education: Attended Reed College, OR, and University of California, Los Angeles. Addresses: Home: San Diego, CA, and Dublin, Ireland. Office: Department of History, University of California, 129 Murray Krieger Hall, Irvine, CA 92697-3275. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BLDGBLOG, http:// bldgblog.blogspot.com/ (May 22, 2006), "Interview with Mike Davis: Part I."
- LA Weekly Online, http://www.laweekly.com/ (December 14, 2007), interview.
- Salon.com, http:// www.salon.com/ (December 14, 2007), Veronique de Turenne, "Is Mike Davis's Los Angeles All in His Head?," interview.
- San Diego Reader Online, http://www.sdreader.com/ (April 6, 2006), Juris Jurjevics, "Planet of Slums," interview.
- Seven Oaks, http:// www.sevenoaksmag.com/ (April 8, 2006), Derrick O'Keefe, review of Planet of Slums.
- Voices of Resistance from Occupied London, http://occupiedlondon.org/davis/ (February 23, 2007), "Resisting, Subverting and Destroying the Apparatus of Surveillance and Control: An Interview with Mike Davis."*